Major new features and enhancements in this release are:
- Based on new version of WebKit browser engine which brings HTML 5 and CSS 3 web standards to the desktop, catching up to what has been available in Safari mobile browser in iPhone and iPod touch. HTML5 and CSS3 allows rich media and offline capability in browser. Apple develops WebKit as an open source project and is in the core of browsers in Google Chrome, Google Android phones, Palm webOS and Nokia Series 60 phones.
- Top Sites display in one page the most frequently visited websites in large thumnails of cached image of the site. Allows you to quickly go to that site with one click.
- New Cover Flow view when you are in bookmarks editing page or browsing through visited pages, allows you to quickly page through the bookmarks and visited sites.
- The tabs are now laid across on top, occupying the title bar of the windows.
- You can now do a full text search on visited pages and bookmarked sites.
- The address bar and search bar are now more intelligent which automatically suggest completion text as you type.
- The developer menu is now enhanced to give more tools and controls to developer to fine tuned their websites and applications.
- Safari for Windows now sports Windows native look and feel, using standard Windows font rendering and interface controls.