Steve Jobs announced the 4th generation iPhone at WWDC conference on June 07. We can’t possibly covered the more than 100 features for the new iPhone and software, here is the concise guide to the new and ‘not-so-new’ essentials:
1. It is aptly named iPhone 4. It is the first hardware from Apple to use versioning number as product name. It is refreshing indeed compare to something like “iPhone HD”. And Apple is branding it “This changes everything. Again.”.
2. iPhone 4 will be available June 24 in US, France, Germany, UK and Japan. Retail at $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model, and can choose black or white color model. Pre-order starts June 15. Apple will release iPhone 4 in 18 more countries in end July (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland). iPhone 4 will be available in 88 countries by September.
3. With iPhone 4 release on June 24, iPhone 3G will be discontinued. While iPhone 3GS will then be available in an 8G version for $99. This is the same practice when Apple release iPhone 3GS last year by keeping iPhone 3G as a low cost option.
4. The all new design is the same one that is leaked by Gizmodo. Now we know the metal frame is stainless steel and not aluminum. This frame is also served as antenna for the communication signals (bluetooth, wifi, GPS, GSM, UMTS etc) and aluminum is not suitable as it a weak conductor. Aluminum is used for most of Apple’s notebook design.
5. iPhone 4 is 9.3mm thick and Apple called it the thinnest smartphone on the planet. It is 24% thinner than iPhone 3GS.
6. It has an additional mic on top beside the headset jack to serve as noise cancellation purpose.
7. iPhone 4 has a high density 960×640 display screen Apple called Retina Display. The resolution is 4x that of iPhone 3GS with the same 3.5 inch size. The display has an 800:1 contrast ratio which is 4x better and uses IPS LCD technology. The 326 pixels per inch density makes the screen has the sharpness of paper print. Existing app will work just fine but will look better.
8. iPhone 4 is using Apple A4 processor, the same one that is used in iPad. There is no stated memory size but most believed it has 256MB ram as in the iPad.
9. microSIM is used instead of standard size SIM card to save space.
10. The battery is significantly larger with much improved battery life: 7 hours 3G talk, 6 hours 3G browsing, 10 hours WiFi browsing, 10 hours video, 40 hours music and 300 hour standby.
11. iPhone 4 supports quad-band HSDPA/HSUPA with up to 7.2 Mbps.
12. The WiFi in iPhone 4 is now 802.11n capable, significantly boosting WiFi speed.
13. iPhone 4 has a new 3 axis gyroscope. Together with accelerometer, 6-axis motion sensing is now possible.
14. iPhone 4 has a new camera system, with 5 megapixel camera at the back that has backside illuminated sensor, an LED flash, 5x digital zoom and has a wider angle than iPhone 3GS. The front camera has a VGA resolution meant for video calling purpose.
15. iPhone 4 takes 720HD video at 30fps.
16. Apple will release iMovie for iPhone, allowing you to edit movie with transition, apply theme all with iPhone. It will be $4.99 available soon on App Store.
17. Apple rebranded iPhone OS to iOS. Great! iOS 4.0 will be released June 21 for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch as free upgrade. It will be free for iPod touch for first time. Not all iOS 4 feature will be available for iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch. For example multitasking is not available. Developer can download new Gold Master beta version now.
18. There are more than 1500 new features in iOS 4.0. The main one includes multitasking, new home screen folder and unified inbox for mail.
19. In addition to Google and Yahoo!, Bing is now an option for search on iOS 4.0.
20. iBooks and iBookstore will be added to iOS 4. You can purchase one time and read the book on all iOS devices. New in iBook is the support to read PDF documents, in addition to the epub format documents.
21. iAds will be launched July 01 for all iOS devices. Major has been roped in including Nissanm Citi, Unilever, AT&T, Disney, Target, Best Buy etc.
22. Apple is calling iPhone 4 video calling feature FaceTime. It is iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 calling with no setup required. It requires WiFi and Apple is working with carriers to enable 3G calling.
Apple iPhone 4 Press Release below.
All-New Design with FaceTime Video Calling, Retina Display, 5 Megapixel Camera & HD Video Recording
Thinnest Smartphone Ever
SAN FRANCISCO-June 7, 2010-Apple® today presented the new iPhone® 4 featuring FaceTime, which makes the dream of video calling a reality, and Apple’s stunning new Retina display, the highest resolution display ever built into a phone, resulting in super crisp text, images and video. In addition, iPhone 4 features a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, HD video recording, Apple’s A4 processor, a 3-axis gyro and up to 40 percent longer talk time-in a beautiful all-new design of glass and stainless steel that is the thinnest smartphone in the world. iPhone 4 comes with iOS 4, the newest version of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, which includes over 100 new features and 1500 new APIs for developers. iOS 4 features Multitasking, Folders, enhanced Mail, deeper Enterprise support and Apple’s new iAd mobile advertising platform. iPhone 4 will be available in the US, UK, France, Germany and Japan on June 24, starting in the US at just $199 for qualified buyers with a two year contract.*
“iPhone 4 is the biggest leap since the original iPhone,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “FaceTime video calling sets a new standard for mobile communication, and our new Retina display is the highest resolution display ever in a phone, with text looking like it does on a fine printed page. We have been dreaming about both of these breakthroughs for decades.”
FaceTime is as mobile as your phone, so you can see your loved ones and friends anywhere there is Wi-Fi. Using FaceTime is as easy as making a regular voice call, with no set-up required, and you can instantly switch to the rear camera to show others what you are seeing with just a tap.
Apple’s stunning 3.5 inch Retina display has 960 x 640 pixels-four times as many pixels as the iPhone 3GS and 78 percent of the pixels on an iPad™. The resulting 326 pixels per inch is so dense that the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels when the phone is held at a normal distance, making text, images and video look sharper, smoother and more realistic than ever before on an electronic display.
iPhone 4 is the thinnest smartphone ever-9.3 millimeters-with an all-new design and build quality like no other mobile device. The front and back are made of aluminosilcate glass, chemically strengthened to be 30 times harder than plastic, more scratch resistant and more durable than ever. The front and back glass have an oil-resistant coating that helps keep it clean, and encircling iPhone 4 is a highly finished stainless steel band made of a custom alloy that is forged to be five times stronger than standard steel.
iPhone 4 features a new 5 megapixel autofocus camera with a 5x digital zoom, a backside illuminated sensor and built-in LED flash that allows you to take amazing pictures even in low light and dark environments. iPhone 4 lets you record and edit incredible HD video and the popular tap to focus feature now works while recording video. You can use the iPhone 4’s LED flash for both still photography and video recording. The new iMovie® app for iPhone lets you combine movie clips, add dynamic transitions and themes and include photos and music, and users can buy it for just $4.99 through the App Store right on their phone.
iPhone 4 is the best mobile device ever for games and entertainment, with access to tens of thousands of games and entertainment apps on the revolutionary App Store. Every iPhone 4 has a built-in 3-axis gyro that when combined with the accelerometer provides 6-axis motion sensing such as up and down, side to side, forward and backward and pitch and roll, making it perfect for gaming. Developers can access the gyro using the new CoreMotion API to make games and other apps that go well beyond what other mobile devices offer.
iPhone 4 comes with iOS 4, the newest version of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system. With over 100 new features, it includes Multitasking, Folders, enhanced Mail, deeper Enterprise support and Apple’s new iAd mobile advertising platform. With Multitasking, users can now instantly switch between any of their apps while preserving battery life. With Folders, users can easily organize their apps into collections by simply dragging one app on top of another. A folder is automatically created and named based on the category of apps selected. Users can change the name of any folder at any time. In addition, users can now customize their lock and home screens with an array of supplied wallpapers or with any of the photos on their phone.
The new iBooks® app will be available for iPhone 4 as a free download from the App Store and includes Apple’s new iBookstore, the best way to browse, buy and read books on a mobile product. The iBooks app will sync your current place in a book, along with any bookmarks, highlights and notes you have created, between copies of the same book on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch®. iBooks users can also now read and store PDFs right in iBooks. There are now over 60,000 books available in the iBookstore, and users have downloaded over five million books in the first two months.
More than five billion apps have been downloaded from the revolutionary App Store and more than 225,000 apps are available to consumers in 90 countries. Almost 100 million iPhone and iPod touch users around the world can choose from an incredible range of apps in 20 categories, including games, business, news, sports, health, reference and travel.
iPhone 4 delivers an amazing seven hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and up to six hours on 3G, and up to 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback.** iPhone 4 is powered by Apple’s new A4 processor that provides exceptional processor and graphic performance along with long battery life. iPhone 4 features a second microphone and advanced software to suppress unwanted background noise for improved call quality when in loud places. iPhone 4 also offers 802.11n Wi-Fi networking and adds quad-band HSUPA to provide 7.2Mbps downlink and 5.8Mbps uplink capability.***
Pricing & Availability
iPhone 4 comes in either black or white and will be available in the US for a suggested retail price of $199 (US) for the 16GB model and $299 (US) for the 32GB model in both Apple and AT&T’s retail and online stores, Best Buy and Wal-Mart stores. iPhone 4 will be available in the US, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on June 24 and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4 beginning Tuesday, June 15 from the Apple Online Store or reserve an iPhone 4 to pick up at an Apple Retail Store. iMovie for iPhone will be available on the App Store for just $4.99 (US).
Also on June 24, a new iPhone 3GS 8GB model will be available for just $99 (US). iOS 4 software will be available on June 21 as a free software update via iTunes® 9.2 or later for iPhone and iPod touch customers.****
iPhone 4 will roll out worldwide to 88 countries by the end of September. iPhone 4 will be available by the end of July in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
*Qualified customers only. Requires a new two year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.
**Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results vary.
***Speed is dependent on cellular network capability.
****iOS 4 is compatible with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, second and third generation iPod touch (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB). Some features may not be available on all products. For example, Multitasking requires iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 or third generation iPod touch (late 2009 models with 32GB or 64GB).
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution with the Apple II, then reinvented the personal computer with the Macintosh. Apple continues to lead the industry with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system, and iLife, iWork and professional applications. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store, has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.