Facebook unveiled its location-based service Facebook Places at a launch event last evening. Places allows users to check-in with their current location. Upon check-in, you can see who else is at the location and tag friends who are there:
* Check in and your update will appear on the Place page, your friends’ News Feed and your Wall.
* Tag the friends you’re with so they can be part of your update.
* Appear in “Here Now” to friends and others nearby who are also checked in.
* Browse status updates of friends checked in nearby.
* After checking in, tap “Here Now” to see who else is checked in where you are.
At the moment, you can check-in using the newly updated version 3.2 of Facebook app on the iphone or point your non-Apple touch screen smartphones at url [touch.facebook.com](touch.facebook.com). Facebook plans to add Places to its other mobile apps in future.
Facebook Places has an API and will play nice with existing location players Foursquare, Gowalla, Loopt etc.
[Visit Facebook Faces page to find out more](http://www.facebook.com/places/)